Maharashtra State Excise Registration Within 8-10 Days

A liquor license, as the name suggests, is a permit that is required to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption. In Mumbai, alcoholic beverages are sold in several restaurants, bars and clubs. According to the Bombay Prohibition Act 1949, a valid license should be possessed in order to purchase, possess, transport and consume liquor; violating which is considered to be an offence. In this article, we look at the procedure for obtaining Mumbai liquor license.Places like bars and restaurants that allow the consumers to consume the beverage on its premises is required to obtain a liquor license. On the other hand, an off-licence has to be obtained to sell liquor in liquor stores, grocery stores and drug stores.

The Grade 1 restaurants of Mumbai are granted with the facility to obtain a Bar License. The permitting room license for ‘ON-Consumption’ and ‘FL II licenses’ have been granted to shops as an endorsement of the sale of sealed bottles for ‘OFF-Consumption’. However, these licenses are valid for one year, after which it has to be renewed. To renew a license, the license owner has to apply for renewal before thirty days of the expiry of renewal. A fee of Rs. 25 must be paid for the application form, challan and the renewal fee.

This portal facilitates citizens to avail fully online services offered by the Maharashtra State Excise department. Citizen can avail services related to various Licenses such as Temporary function, Licenses to do trade, sale and other manufacturing of Liquor/its raw materials and many more. You can track the Application status and obtain Licenses online. This is developed with an objective to enable a single window access to services being provided by the Maharashtra State Excise department.

A fee of Rs. 15,000 has to be paid to obtain a temporary club licence or party permit for bigger parties (above 100 people) and a fee of Rs. 10,000 for smaller parties (below 100 people). According to the excise department rules, an FL-4 license is mandatory to conduct a private liquor party in a flat or a resort that costs a sum of Rs. 13,000. All consumers should possess this license, otherwise which the party organizer may be penalized for illegal possession of liquor. The license fee for permit rooms is Rs. 5,44,000 and that of beer shops is Rs.1,50,000.

Application Procedure

  1. Step 1: Obtain a court stamp of Rs. 10

    The applicant has to obtain a court fee stamp of Rs. 10 court stamp from any court or from the Asiatic Town Hall near the collector’s office.

  2. Step 2: Approach the Permit issuing office

    The applicant has to visit the Old Customs House, also called as Collectors Office that is located at Fort area in South Mumbai. This facility is also available in the regional excise offices in Malvani (Malad West), Andheri, Bandra and Chembur.

  3. Step 3: Receive the application form.

    On approaching the office, the applicant can receive the application form from the concerned authorities. The form is available for free of cost.

  4. Step 4: Enter the Details

    1. Name of the applicant
    2. Date of Birth
    3. Age
    4. Occupation
    5. Residential Address

  5. Step 5: Affix the stamp

    After entering all the details in the application form, the applicant has to affix the court fee stamp on the application form.

  6. Step 6: Submit the Application

    The applicant has to submit the application form along with the photographs, photo ID and address proof. While submitting the application, the applicant has to pay the appropriate fee depending on the type of license.

Types of Licenses





Documents Required For Registration

  1. Photograph and Signature of Applicant

  2. Identity Proof of Applicant (Any 1 Document)
    1. Aadhar Card
    2. Passport
    3. Voter ID
    4. PAN Card
    5. Driving Licence

  3. Address Proof of Applicant (Any 1 Document)
    1. Aadhar Card
    2. Passport
    3. Voter ID
    4. Driving Licence

  4. TYPE OF ENTITY (Any 1 Document)
    1. If Proprietary/ownership
    2. If Co-operative or Public Company
    3. If Company (Ltd. or Public)
    4. If Partnership/ LLP Firm

    a) If Partnership/ LLP Firm

    Registerd Partnership Deed or L.L.P. documents

    b) If Company (Ltd. or Public)

    1. Certificate of Registration obtained from charity commissioner (Mandatory)
    2. Form 32 of all Directors
    3. Resolution of Board of Directors (Mandatory)
    4. Memorandum of Articles, Association of Articles

    c) If Co-operative or Public Company

    1. Certificate of Registration of Company from Co-operative Dept/Company Registrar (Mandatory)
    2. Resolution of Board of Directors about the appointment of Executive Directors & for the permission of this trade (Mandatory)
    3. In case of Co-operative Society - Copy of Bye Laws/Certificate

    5.Solvency Certificate/Bank Guarantee - 50% of Licence Fees. Premises Details